Thursday, 15 June 2017

Book Review: Sign of the Green Dragon by C. Lee McKenzie



General Information


Publisher: Self Published
Date of publication: 7th May 2016
Author: C. Lee McKenzie
Number of pages: 182

Plot summary: (blurb)


Three plucky sleuths. A crumbling skeleton. A buried treasure. After six months in a new school, Sam’s finally fitting in. He’s the one kid with enough talent to hit the winning home run and bring the baseball trophy back to Haggarty Elementary. But Sam’s guardian is shipping him off to boarding school before that can happen. When team mates, Joey and Roger, hear his bad news, they plot to hide him until the big game. Their secret cave is a perfect place until an earthquake shatters a wall and reveals a wooden chest with a red-eyed dragon carved into its top. Inside, a bony hand clutches a map with a note, promising treasure. With Joey and Roger, Sam sets off to track down the clues and hopefully discover treasure. When some puzzle pieces start to make sense, the boys become lost in a labyrinth of underground tunnels, trapped by dangerous thieves and sealed inside an airless tomb.

Positive points


This was a great adventure story for kids. It was well written and well paced, with plenty of twists and turns to keep young minds entertained. It reminded me of the type of adventure I would have love to go on as a kid AND as an adult. Funny enough, I just got myself a metal detector to go on a real treasure hunt myself and this story was the perfect inspiration.

Negative points


I didn't really find anything negative with this story.

What makes this book unique


I loved the oriental dragon aspect bringing the two cultures together to add even more mystery.

Overall impression


A great fun-filled adventure that was a mix between Indiana Jones and The Pirates of the Caribbean.

My rating:




Book links:


Amazon US


Amazon UK


Meet the author, C. Lee McKenzie




My Passions: 

Besides reading and writing, I love to do two things: I love to hike. I love to practice Yoga. Well, three things if you count eating. I love to eat. That’s why I love to hike. Might as well make it four things, because I love to spend time with my family and friends. Wait! I love to grow my own salad. And cats—I love to grow them too, so now I’m up to six things I’m passionate about. I know there’s more, but I’m out of space and you don’t need to be bored.

My Favorite Books:

Anything with Hobbits.

Anything Stephen King writes, except I don’t like some of those stories at night when I’m alone or even if I’m not because I’m a real sissy in the dark.

Anything with a dragon in the title or on the cover.

Barbara Kingsolver’s books.

Edgy Joyce Carol Oates books.

E.B.White’s Essays, and stories that start, “Once upon a time . . . .”


Author Links:


Author site:


Blog:


Facebook:


Twitter:




2 comments:

  1. Hi and many thanks for the wonderful review on your site! Come visit me at the Write Game http://writegame.blogspotcom. You'll be very welcome and I have a lot of people you'd be right at home with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Lee :) It was a great story, I enjoyed it! It's good to see you on my blog :)

      Delete