Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Short but Very Very Sweet--Kurt Chambers


As a children's author, I love listening to my grandchildren when they come to visit. They always have so much to say and they are the funniest things in the world. My four-year-old granddaughter, Chloe, was here yesterday while I pottered around outside. She came to see what I was doing at the end of the garden. After insisting I pushed her for a while on the swing, she allowed me to continue tending to some melon plants I recently planted. I showed her how they had come under attack by a gang of slugs and how I used pellets to stop them. I let her water them with the watering can, and she stood and watched with great interest as I put more slug pellets down. I was greeted with a barrage of questions.

Going back indoors, Chloe was eager to explain to her nan what we had been doing outside. She jumped on her knee, wide-eyed, and began to explain.

"Granddad's plants were being eaten by those black things!" She's so good at making it sound so dramatic with shocked facial expressions and everything. "But granddad was putting down those death things!" She pinched her fingers together and nodded decisively. "The little blue ones!" Her little face turned back to a dramatic one. "And he killed them! They won't eat them now!" Master of the obvious statement. LOL

I love listening to children when they explain things. They are so funny. How could I not be inspired to write for children? I love being a children's author, I couldn't see myself writing anything else.

Just out of interest, what inspired you to write?

4 comments:

  1. What's so cool is that she told a flash fiction with a beginning, a middle, and an end. :-) Future writer in the making, I would say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha!! Would that be wonderful :) Thanks for visiting my blog, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  2. And thanks for following my Victorian Scribbles blog. It was nice to see y.ou there.

    ReplyDelete