Friday, 8 June 2012

Writing Advice - Becoming a Success


Did you hear, I’m a published author? Wow! How did that happen? For over eight years, becoming a published author was nothing more than a dream in a sea of rejection letters and despair. But what an adventure it has been. Have you ever tried writing a whole novel, then attempted to learn all the rules in order to bring it to a publishable standard. Felt the wrench in your heart when you realise you will have to destroy that novel in order to make it fit the current market trends, only to find no one is interested in it anyway. So you write another one and another and go through the whole process all over again. It’s not for the faint-hearted, that’s for sure. But what choice do we have? We are writers, it’s just what we do.

Writing is so addictive. I started late in life and never imagined on one single occasion that I would become an author at some point in my life. In fact, I would have laughed at the suggestion. I wasn’t a writer type of person, even though the idea did appeal to me. Then one day I just started writing. I had a story to tell and off I went, knowing absolutely nothing about the process. Man, was I in for a shock! Looking back, I’m glad I never knew what I was letting myself in for or I would have probably never bothered. The only way I could possibly describe it is … mad! It’s a roller coaster of emotions. Overpowering, draining, enlightening, disappointing, magnificent, crushing. Only another writer who has been through this process could possibly understand what I’m talking about.

Being a father of three and a grandfather of three, I have been on many adventures in my life, but my adventure into the world of writing has been one of the most exciting ones. I made friends all over the world, wonderful friends. It taught me so much. Good times and bad, I would do it all over again without question. I’m not what you would call a successful author, but success is something that shouldn’t be measured in how many books you sell or how wealthy you become. Success should be measured in how much you grew on that journey and how much it enriched your life. From my perspective, I’m as successful as a best selling author.

My advice to any up-and-coming author is, don’t get hung up on becoming published. This is something that will come with time and experience. The secret is to enjoy the journey to becoming an author. This long journey is what makes us grow as writers and as people. When I look back on the amazing adventures I’ve had to get to where I wanted to be, this journey was the most amazing thing of all. Keep writing, keep learning and keep growing. Even if you never become published, you will be a better person from the experience and still be doing something you love. It’s a win-win situation.

Shameless plug


Truth Teller by Kurt Chambers is free to all readers


How can ten-year-old Charlotte ever envisage that magic really exists? The place for other realms belongs in a child’s fairy tale. Or so she thinks, until she discovers the strange shopkeeper and begins an adventure that changes her life forever.
Discovered alone in a far away forest, Charlotte embarks on a journey encountering heart-stopping dangers and real life monsters, but a far greater threat shadows her every move. Even the strength and skill of her new companions cannot protect her against a ruthless druid assassin.
But in this realm, Charlotte is not the vulnerable little girl she thought she was.

Download a free copy in any format for any device:


Smashwords:

Amazon:

Barnes & Noble:
You can connect with the author at:

Author’s Web page http://kurtchambers.net/


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful words Kurt, and I say amen to each one. My publishing dream took 11 years to come to fruition with my debut novel Devolution. I love it too man, I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment :) It's much appreciated. I love new visitors. Congratulations with Devolution! I hope the next one is equally successful.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on getting your book published. I loved the line about being glad you didn't know what you were getting into when you started writing. I had no idea what a rollercoaster writing would be and I am so glad I began the journey. I try to enjoy each step. If I knew what lay ahead of me before I started I may not have started either.

    I have been curious about Truth Teller since I first heard of it on The Write Game months ago. I can't wait to get a copy.

    Best of luck!
    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess :) Thank you! It's such a mission, isn't it? We must be mad lol

      You should watch out for me on Twitter @emailmanROCKS I have been giving away free copies.

      Delete