Sunday, 6 November 2011

NaNoWriMo —Kurt Chambers


This month is a busy month for lots of writers with NaNoWriMo which, for those of you non-writer people, stands for National Novel Writing Month. The idea behind it is a writer spends every spare second of their time writing their novel, trying to hit a daily word count each day, or an overall target for the month. As writers, we don’t always spend our time just writing. If only we could! We spend a lot of our time reviewing other people’s work in critique forums or with beta readers. A large majority of writers learn their craft this way like myself. We also have to revise and edit our own stuff after getting reviews. This can be very time consuming. Networking is also a big part of a writer’s life. There is such a supportive network of writers out there in cyberspace, we all support each other and help with such a challenging quest of becoming published authors.

NaNoWriMo isn’t for everyone. I’ve never done it myself as I’ve always found it a bit too intense. We are all different, and I can’t write that way, personally. But I do wish all those other writers out there all the luck in the world! I take my hat off to anyone who is participating this year. And if that’s you, I just have one thing to say…What are you doing here reading my blog? You should be writing! :D


9 comments:

  1. I'm not doing it this year and it's making me a little sad. I love the intensity of NaNo, the urgency and the way you just have to live and breathe your story. But I just can't this year because of other commitments, so I need to just ignore all the NaNoing around me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my first year doing NaNo Kurt... and Kate is so right - you do live and breath the story - every morning as I climb out of bed I'm already thinking a million things about my story, and it pushes me to get going... I love the intensity but I do wonder how long I can keep at it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't participate either. I personally think that if someone can dedicate so much time and energy to NaNoWriMo, they should concentrate on their own novel! But hey, that's just me being me :)

    Love the music here, good sir :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, sorry to hear that, Kate, but on the bright side it, does give you more time to get your new novel ready for the big boys :)

    I can totally relate to the crazy life thing. I couldn't have done NaNo even if I wanted. That reminds me, I have to go and update the forum LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, Tania! I'm proper excited for you :) You can keep it up, no worries. I have faith in you.

    I can understand why people do it, but for me, there's not enough hours in the day lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy!! hahaha!! The music comes from the pinball game I have on here :)

    Good to see you, mate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No NaNo for me either. I'm busy revising the book I wrote over two years ago. I'd love to try it some day, though. Maybe once all my kids are gone from home and I'm retired. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL Or maybe when you get this book published, Annie? :) Bash another book out. I'm curious to know what you will write next.

    ReplyDelete