Friday, 18 November 2011

Life Beyond Our Planet—Kurt Chambers


Do you believe there is life out there beyond our own planet? To me, this is a silly question. Yes, of course there is. Tons of it! Life is a naturally occurring phenomenon in nature. Given the right conditions, life will form on its own accord; this has been proven in scientific experiments by creating a primeval soup from which life emerged.

I’m a keen amateur astronomer, and spent two years of my life building a rather large reflector telescope. During the time I spend building this, I studied astronomy to learn as much as I could about the universe that surrounds us. It’s amazingly fascinating, and very beautiful. One of the things that really stood out to me was the sheer size of our universe. Trust me, it’s very big indeed. And in this vast universe, there is a lot of stuff. So much so, you couldn’t come up with a number that would even mean anything to you. Common sense alone tells me that there is a lot of life among all this. Our humble planet alone contains approximately four billion different life forms that we know of, and we live on such a tiny little planet.

The question that we should be asking ourselves is, I wonder what all these life forms beyond our planet, solar system, galaxy, and even universe, are like? That’s a much better question. One that many a good book have been written about. They call it science fiction, but chances are, some of it may actually be science fact. We stereotype aliens as being little green men that like probing things that would possibly make your eyes water, thanks to the media and the film industry. I’m not saying that there is a civilisation out there that has the technology and the resources to visit our planet. We live a very, very long way from even the nearest star. But one thing is for sure, we are surrounded by billions and billions of living things in every direction. We may not ever see them, but they are there.

If anyone out there is interested in helping with the search for real intelligent life, then you may want to check this out. I’ve been a member of SETI@home for over ten years and run their free program on my computer all the time.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

4 comments:

  1. I believe you. I know a few aliens. ;) Truth is stranger than fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very interesting blog. I enjoyed this article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Elizabeth :) And thank you for visiting. I love to see new faces here.

    ReplyDelete