Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Writing Competitions--Kurt Chambers


For those of you who have been around the writing community for a while, you will know just how hard it is to get your big break when it comes to finding that exclusive agent of publisher to fall in love with your work. The submission process is the obvious way to go about it, but this will often lead to rejection. Also, there are many publishing houses out there that won’t even accept submissions from Joe-public like myself. But all is not lost.

I was once advised by a top publishing agent, the wonderful Robert Brown, to get myself noticed in any way that I can. Be as creative as you possibly can, but most of all, be seen. One way you can do this is to take advantage of the many writing competitions that circulate the blog world and that exist on many agents’ websites. I was once advised to do this by a published author friend of mine, Dawne Dominique, and it is very sound advice.

So, while I’m banging on about writing competitions, let me get the ball rolling for any Young Adult or Middle Grade writers out there who are aiming to be discovered. Here is a contest where one lucky winner will be asked to submit their full MS to agent Bree Ogden from Martin Literary Management, and two lucky runners-up will get to submit their first 50 pages. I wish you all the best of luck! As with all contests, please read the rules very carefully in order to give you the best chance possible.

Elevator Pitch competition: http://yatopia.blogspot.com/2011/07/elevator-pitch-competition-with-agent.html

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kurt! I love the new blog look - nice redecorating. Yes, I know you can 'chuck' the turtles around. You can feed them and spin them, too, but they make a mess. :P
    Best of luck with the contest! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with the contest exposure... the biggest issue is finding all of them:) Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the contest, Kurt! Keep putting your name out there. :)

    And what's this about turtles Laura is talking about? LOL I don't see any turtles, but I see a pinball game, and you can NEVER beat my high score. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha!! Thanks, Laura :) I did have fun with your turtles LOL but I felt a little cruel after bashing them together :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Tania <3 Good to see you here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie, the turtles are on Laura's blog, not mine. Oh, and I forgot to say, I totally out did your pinball high score the other day, but like an idiot, I forgot to take a screen capture to prove it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, now I see the turtles on Laura's blog. So cute! But I think you're supposed to feed them, Kurt, not torment them! :D

    Higher score than me? Impossible! You would have bragged about it if it was true. :P You'd probably have blogged about it and posted a printscreen of your high score, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahaha!!! You'll just have to take my word for it :)

    ReplyDelete