Sunday, 3 July 2011

A Good Week—Kurt Chambers


This week has been quite an eventful week for me in my writing world. Normally, I’m blogging about keeping your chin up in the face of rejection, or ranting on about how crazy life is. I do try to keep my blogs as positive as possible, not always an easy task when everything is falling around your ears. LOL But today, I’m going to be very positive, because it has been quite an amazing week for me.

My adventures started on Monday. I had a job interview as a site manager in a primary school. This would have been my dream job. I thought the interview went well, but unfortunately I didn’t get the job. That night, I had my email page open when a new message popped up. It was a reply to a query I had send. Oh no, I thought. Not another rejection letter. Not today! Without hesitation, I clicked on the message to get it over and done with.

Within seconds I was jumping out of my chair and randomly running around the living room. “OMG! I don’t believe it! They want to see more of my book!” Yes! It was my first partial request for my new novel, Unknown Reality. At last! Well, I shouldn’t complain, I had only sent out about six queries and now I had a request for a partial. I have bored the pants off everyone I’ve met since then as all the people in my real life know absolutely nothing about a wannabe author’s world.

Filled with renewed hope and some spare time on my hands, I managed to get some writing done. I have just started a new novel and I was determined to finish writing the first chapter, which I did. It’s a good feeling to be writing again. When you run a critique forum and you are in the middle of a submission campaign, not to mention all the things that need attending in real life, writing time doesn’t come very often.

Just when I thought my week couldn’t get more eventful, I received some wonderful news. Deborah Halverson has been running a contest on her amazing site DearEditor.com and is offering a ‘First Chapter Critique’ giveaway as part of her book launch with the release of Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies. To my utter amazement, I won on day three of the contest. Yes…me! Haha!! I never win anything! There is still a couple of days left in this contest, so any Young Adult or Middle Grade writers out there, head over to Deborah’s site and get entering. If you’re not a writer of these genres, then get over there anyway because this is such a great and informative site. We all wish you the very best with the book launch, Deborah!

So, now my exciting week has come to an end. Here’s hoping next week goes just as well. J


8 comments:

  1. It's such awesome news.Now you finally have your chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good things come in threes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Louisa :) I sure do!

    I wonder what the third thing is, Ralene? I can't wait! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kurt, I'm so happy for you! You so deserve it! I hope you get that agent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, thank you so much, Tamara! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Annie and Tania <3

    ReplyDelete