Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Inspiration--Kurt Chambers


Being a writer, I am constantly looking for inspiration, and there is plenty of it around if you look hard enough. Lots of people ask me where I get my inspiration from. It's probably the most asked question when people find out you write novels. The simple answer to that is everywhere! Like most writers, I would imagine, I use my own personal experiences in life to draw upon. The world shapes us all in different ways and we all have our own perspective on things. Writers have this overwhelming desire to thrust their perspective on the world in many different ways, so real life is probably the biggest inspiration.

Most people think of inspiration as a nice thing, an enlightenment, or a source of great ideas, but this isn't always the case. Inspiration can also come from the dark side of life. We all write for different reasons, and I have met many authors who started writing because of a tragic event in their lives. A death, or loss of a loved one. A hideous life changing accident. Rape and a lifetime of bullying. The list is endless, and many a book has been inspired by such horrible things, not just horror. Inspiration comes in many forms. But I don't want to dwell on the dark side of life today, that's just depressing.

When I talk about being inspired from real life, I think of my children and my grandchildren. Being a children's writer that will be no surprise. I was a doting dad. I loved having kids, more so when they were little and cute. LOL I would come home from work and play with them until it was their bed time, and take great pleasure in reading them stories and making all the characters come to life with funny voices and everything. As many of you know, I also worked with children for some years as a volunteer. Kids are great! They are my biggest inspiration of all. No single thing has ever had such an effect on my life than raising children and being part of their lives. They invoke such extreme emotions, love, excitement, happiness, sadness and fear--terror, even. Not to mention every other emotion you can think of.

There are so many other places to find inspiration other than real life. Writers obviously love books, so other authors are another major source. I would love to think that I could inspire others when my novels get published, that is another inspiration in itself. Then we have films. The amount of TV people watch and with the whole world at their fingertips with a remote control, this must also be a major source of inspiration. Music is another popular one. Music is a great way to stir people's emotions. You may be inspired by art. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I use Google images quite a lot as a source of inspiration when looking for details in a particular scene and find it very effective.

I could talk forever about inspiration and list a million different sources, but like I said before, inspiration comes from everywhere.

What inspires you in your life?




Truth Teller is now available in all e-book formats from here:

Amazon UK: Click here to sample or buy

Amazon US: Click here to sample or buy

Smashwords: Click here to sample or buy

Goodreads: Click here to sample or buy

Shelfari: Click here to sample or buy

Barnes & Noble: Click here to sample or buy

You can connect with the author at:

Author’s Web page http://kurtchambers.net/

Author’s Blog http://geniusborderinginsanity.blogspot.com/

Twitter https://twitter.com/emailmanROCKS

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kurt-Chambers/296957780317055


Truth Teller Reviews:

Dawne Dominique - Multi-published author and professional cover artist.

The Truth Teller is one of the best children's fantasy book I've read in a long while. Charlotte is so easy to picture in my mind, and the fantasy aspects are brilliant! There are underlying currents of "real life lessons" that are subtly included...ideal for parents looking for that perfect bedtime story to read to their children. I loved the entire premise of the novel and will definitely be purchasing the next ones in this series.

Kurt Chambers has captured the genre with a wonderful story that will delight many a child's (and adult's) imagination.

Annie McMahon - Editor, published author and Novel Workshop moderator.

This book has everything a bestseller should have: compelling story, endearing characters, vivid descriptions, genuine emotions, and a lot of surprising twists and turns. This is a story about a friendship that transcends race, gender, age, and even realms, between Charlotte, a ten-year-old girl, and Elderfield, a teenage elf. Beautiful and heartwarming. I strongly recommend it and have reviewed Kurt’s story on my blog, Dutch Hill News.

Ralene Burke – Writer, Editor for Wives in Bloom:

Honestly, I can’t wait until my kids are old enough to read these books. Kurt has written an amazing series that emphasizes such wonderful themes as friendship, family, hope, and faith. I’ve read Truth Teller and Wrath of Siren and, even though they are MG, enjoyed them immensely. If you’re looking for wholesome reads for your children, check out the next big thing for MG.

12 comments:

  1. Great post Kurt... you're so spot on - inspiration comes from everywhere, we just need to keep our eyes open. For me images and songs really send my imagination into overdrive...hehe

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always enjoyed reading books and watching movies. I wondered what the author or director thought when s/he made these things. I wanted to create something as beautiful or horrorific as them, so I attempted to.

    --Dezi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music, the news, and people. I do 90% of my writing in public places. It's amazing I haven't been knocked out or arrested for "staring at someone" or "following them around." Not that this is what I'm REALLY doing, but I could see how others may be confused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog! I get inspiration from places--the atmosphere, the scenery, the culture, the people--and events--either in the news, or myths and legends. Reading great books or watching great movies help too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Tania :) Images are great, aren't they? I used to listen to the sound track from the film, Labyrinth, by David Bowie when I was writing Truth Teller. I've also used the War of the Worlds album on occasions :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you did a great job too, Dezzie :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Paul, the news is a great one. While I was writing this blog I watched something on the news about a breakthrough in science where they created a mini Big Bang which produced enough anti-matter to study it in great detail. It was massively interesting and kept my mind wandering for hours.

    I also wrote a lot of my books in public, sitting at the side of the road in a builders van during my tea breaks lol People watching is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi JC :) Thank you so much for visiting. I'm always totally thrilled to see new people here on my humble blog.

    I love myths and legends! Being a fantasy fan I guess that's pretty obvious really :) I've never really travelled anywhere outside of the UK, so unfortunately I have only experienced other places from a media point of view. One day though, I hope to get the chance to change this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Kurt.

    Many scenes in my stories were inspired by my own kids. I also get a lot of inspiration from memories of my childhood. In fact, some of my short stories have younger "me" as a character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find my inspiration in everything. Music is always a big help, and my friends and family, events of my own life. But my biggest piece has always been nature. Most of my writing takes place when I'm near a stream or a river, surrounded by trees, or even sitting among animals. Each thing inspires something a little different in me. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Annie! Kids are the greatest inspiration, aren't they? Awww, I have seen where you grew up. No wonder it inspired you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya Serrphae! :) It's great to see you here, my friend <3

    You are so lucky to live by a forest. And I know how much you love animals. You should so forget the accountant idea and get a job at a zoo :D

    ReplyDelete