Thursday, 23 June 2011

Giving Up Your Dreams--Kurt Chambers


It's been a week of ups and downs. This week has been a rejection week for me. In fact, I've received three rejections in the last two weeks, one for my first novel, Truth Teller, and two for my fourth novel, Unknown Reality. Us poor, down-trodden authors, the things we have to put up with just to bring a little joy into other people's lives in the shape of our stories.
So, what do I do now? I could beat myself with a big stick, or sit in the corner and cry. Wallow in self pity or get angry with the world because it just doesn’t realise how awesome my books are. I could always get drunk, swear a lot and make everyone’s life a misery, but somehow I don’t really think that will help me get published. And let’s face it; that is what all this heartache is all about, right? Or is it?
Okay, I won’t pretend, becoming a published author is the dream. Just the thought of seeing my books for sale in a major bookshop chain or supermarket brings a warm glow to my tummy. What’s the point of spending years of your life creating this magical story if no one even knows it exists? But sometimes dreams just don’t come true. It’s a sad fact of life. If this is the case, you just have to live with it. But it’s not all doom and gloom.

I could give up right now. I’m sure many writers before me have tried and tried, but never quite made it. A pile of form rejection letters is enough to dent anyone’s resolve, especially if you’re having a bad day. Us writers are an emotional bunch at the best of times. It’s probably what makes us write in the first place. But the problem with giving up is it takes away the one thing that drives us all onward. There is something we all have in common; a little word that means so much, and gives us something to look forward to somewhere down the long road to publication…

Hope!

Without it, what else is there to look forward to? Okay, it’s hard, we all know that. It’s unbelievably frustrating! I have wanted to throw in the towel so many times and stop wasting my life on what seems to be a pointless exercise sometimes. But so long as I keep slogging away, every day when I wake up in the morning there is hope looming in the background, pushing my dream closer and closer. No matter how tiny that little piece of hope may appear at times, it is always there. I don’t think I would want to wake up every morning without it.

Update!


It seems a world away since I wrote this and all that hard work and hoping paid off :) Never, EVER, give up on your dreams!!!!

Amazon Author Page




19 comments:

  1. Keep your head up Kurt. All you need is the one yes, just keep powering forward, that's the best thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cheree :) (((hug))) I will prevail! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Us writers are an emotional bunch at the best of times. It’s probably what makes us write in the first place."

    This entire post is so beautifully written and motivating for all of us. You will get there and you've got the perfect attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your kind remarks and your encouragement, Saumya :) It is most appreciated.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed reading my post. I hope it will give at least one person the motivation to carry on when they're having a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope. An amazing word--and the line between hanging in there and giving up. You are an amazing person, and a great storyteller. I know that there is that perfect place for you out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post! Thank you for writing it. I feel just like you, and it's a struggle some days to keep going, but I have to admit, I enjoy living so many of my hours in la la land. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't give up! Rejection is a part of the process. Not my favorite part, of course, but unfortunately just a part. And there's a bunch of us in the same boat, so you know you're in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kurt,

    I read the success stories on Query Tracker and so many of them say they got rejected 20, 60, 90, 120 times. Reading you post made me want to invite you out for a drink and commiseration with a bunch of my writing friends. Too bad we live so far away.

    Keep the hope, my friend.

    And...ah...what is this music?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That whole "giving up" temptation strikes me, on average, four days a week. Yet somehow, I never do it, and you're not going to do it either. Because we can't. Hang tight, my friend. I know it's not easy - actually, I don't know yet, as I have yet to query. But I anticipate lots of rejections in my future. Your time will come. Hang on to that hope, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! What a response since I went to bed last night :D

    Awww, thank you, Ralene <3 You make me blush lol

    Hi Melissa. Thank you for coming to read it! :) La la land is the only place to be :) It's good to see you.

    Thank you, Kate :) I could wish to be rejected with better friends than you...lol...We'll both celebrate one day.

    Melanie!!! Hiya! Awwww, you are so sweet, thank you. I might take you up on that offer one day! Who knows! It's a real shame I live on the wrong side of the world.

    Paul...hahaha!!! Okay, I've been told now, I'm not allowed to give up :D When you do start submitting and you're having a bad day, come and talk to me and I'll reassure you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah, Melanie. The music comes from the pinball game I have on here LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope is so very important, I agree. I really HOPE you get published soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Said like a true trooper. Never give up. Ever.

    You'll get there Kurt. I just know it :)

    I will be in touch - promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wendy :) Thanks mate, I'm still trying, don't worry. I sent another query about 5 minutes ago lol It's good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great thoughts, Kurt! I know what you mean. We write the awesome stories b/c we want people to read them. Lots and lots of people. Making money is just a side benefit. :) Hang in there! I know it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Tamara <3 I had my first partial request today!!!!!!! How exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. See buddy, you good things are waiting for you just round the corner.. hang in there:)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Tania :) I'm hanging lol by my fingertips :D

    ReplyDelete