Sunday, 22 May 2011

A Writer’s Journal -- Kurt Chambers


Sometimes it seems like becoming a writer wasn’t the best idea I ever had in my life. On other days, I realise I really didn’t have much choice in the matter in order to keep my sanity. To be a good novelist and connect with a reader, you need to open up your very soul and explore your deepest emotions, things you would normally keep suppressed. It is amazingly emotionally draining, yet somehow quite therapeutic. With the endless roller coaster of ups and downs, you have to be made of pretty solid stuff in order to succeed. Either that or be a little wrong in the head. I have to say, though, I admire any author that has been through this trial and made it to where they want to be.

There are many things I enjoy about writing. I’m a fantasy writer, so creating stories about worlds beyond our own, rich with characters that, without me, would not have even existed, is my favourite part. It’s like being God. You create a world and all the living things that inhabit this world, and watch them evolve and grow, live and die. You steer their lives through exciting adventures and have the final say on their destiny. What could be more exciting than that? Creation is a wonderful thing.

Another plus side of being a writer is the friendship. There is a whole world out there full of other writers all experiencing the same thing as me. The writing community is a wonderful thing, and without it, this journey would have been almost impossible for me. I can’t even imagine how all the classic authors from times gone by managed without the support that is readily available today.

There are also many things I dislike about writing. Rejection has got to be top of the list. Only someone who has written a whole novel can understand just how much work goes into it; years and years of work, from writing it to bringing it up to a publishable standard. The thousands of hours involved in learning how the publishing industry works, query and synopsis writing. Then you reach the submission process with expectations of great things to come for all your devotion, only to discover that every publisher in the world hates your book. That’s not actually correct, but it seems like that from the perspective of the author when you first reach the rejection stage. Then comes the paranoia. Have I been wasting my time? Have I got what it takes to be an author? Were all my friends lying to me when they said my book was great?

Is there a happy ending to this little story? Well, my journey through this little adventure is far from over. I still have many more trials to face before I get to the point where I can say, THE END. But I can tell you something, I’m not about to put this story down never to pick it up again. Like a good book, I want to see it through to the end, because I just have to know how it will finish.


And there is a happy end to this story...


Some years on from this post I have a collection of published sci-fi and fantasy novels that made it into the world and are available in all major book retailers. See! Anything is possible!

Amazon Author Page


14 comments:

  1. Great post, Kurt! I totally agree that the writing community is one of the best things about writing today. Where else could I meet a wacky Brit with a king-sized heart who's always supportive and knows just what to say. :)

    Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha!! Awwww, thank you, Ralene :) It's good to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand everything you have said, Kurt. Having just finished my first complete draft, I'm already anticipating the rejection and paranoia I'll experience - and I haven't even begun editing yet. But, as you said, we have to see our books through to the end. I'm one of those crazies who believes finding the right agent/publisher is like completing a puzzle - there is SOMEONE out there for every book, it just takes a lot of time, patience, and adjusting before we find the perfect fit.

    Good luck, my friend. It's not an easy road and I don't think anyone on the outside can fully grasp the emotional journey of writing a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for visiting, Paul :) You have the right attitude, and you're not crazy. Finding the right agent is very important, tastes vary so much. My best advice is, never ever take rejection personally. It comes for many reasons, and the least likely reason is that they don't like your novel. They are a business like any other business, and are only interested in what they think they can sell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspirations Kurt, and reminds us to keep going forward... love your positive attitude:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kurt from England,

    I <3 you, you know that? We had a party at our house today and I was telling a friend how I need to get out of my head. With the book's upcoming launch and reviewers starting to post their ratings, I am having the whiplash of "I suck" for a 1-star and "Oh, thank God!" for a 5-star.

    He said, "You can't get validation from other people. Just know that you set out to do something important and you did it."

    Wise words, those.

    You will find out how the story ends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny how like my post this is! Ha ha I can so relate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Tania :) We have to be, don't we, or we would go mad lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, Cyndi <3 Thanks mate :)

    I'm so sorry I haven't been around to join in with your reviews. Life has been crazy. But don't you ever think you suck, girl. You're a star!!!! I admire you, big time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, Tamara! haha!! I did laugh when I read your post. You're not stalking me again, are you? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. What could be better than playing God and having meaningful friendships? I love being a writer, despite all the ups and downs and heartaches. Nothing compares to this.

    Now hurry up and publish your book so I can get my own hard-covered autographed copy I reserved. :) Is there an agent in the audience? *hint hint*

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha!! Thank you, Annie :) I'm trying my hardest, honestly! I don't think many agents read my humble blog though :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Today was the first time I spoke to you on Twitter. I really appreciate your advice! As silly as this may sound, this post solidified my decision in picking my writing back up.

    I can't go without writing. Even through the years when I gave it up I would find myself with pen and paper or staring at a blank word document wanting to pour out my guts!
    Thanks once again for the chat today and for this amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, Jase! That is the best thing I've ever heard, mate! The thought that I somehow helped inspire anyone is such a massive compliment. Thank you so much for telling me, it means so much *beam*

      Delete