Friday, 22 April 2011

Interview With The Great Anastasia Pergakis


It's my greatest pleasure to introduce the world to a fantastic author and a wonderful friend of mine, Anastasia Pergakis. I've known Anastasia for some years now, and I've rarely met anyone so dedicated to the writing world. She is kind, thoughtful, and never hesitates to put herself out to help others. I consider myself very lucky to have her as a friend. But don't just take my word for it, meet the lady herself. Welcome to my blog, Anastasia, it's an honour to have you with us today.


Anastasia: Awww! Kurt, that is so sweet of you to say! You’re a great guy and a wonderful friend. Always there to support me and listen to me when I’m down. I wouldn’t be very far without YOU. I’m very honored to be here! Thanks so much for asking me.

Me: Okay, let's go. You are known to everyone as a writer of High Fantasy novels. Who or what was your inspiration into the realms of fantasy?


Anastasia: I’m not sure, really. I just love diving into a new world. Honestly, sometimes it’s more fun than the real world. It’s my escape, where I go to collect my thoughts, calm my soul, and find myself. It’s really just my happy place inside my head where I go to settle down and find peace. And finally, I just had to share it with other people.

It takes many shapes depending on my mood or which “section” of my world I’m sharing. That’s why I have so many novels in the works, so many facets of me to share and they come out through my worlds, my characters, and the plot twists.

Me: Yeah, I can relate to that. Have you ever considered writing in another genre? And if so, which one?


Anastasia: Well, Sci-Fi seems the obvious jump. I do have a few ideas brewing for a Sci-Fi novel or two. But I think the big jump for me would be to try Mystery or Crime Dramas sort of thing. I absolutely love reading them and would love to try my hand at writing one someday. Really, though, I think the only real jump I’ll make to another genre is to Sci-Fi.


Me: We writers are funny people, we all write for different reasons. What is it that attracts you to taking up the pen?


Anastasia: The magic. And I don’t mean magic because I write fantasy. I mean the magic of writing, of creating…of being creative. The magic in dreams, inspiration, friendship and true love. Magic of words! The feeling at the end of a scene or chapter or book that says “Look at that. I MADE that. I breathed life into it.” The closest thing I can compare it to would be the first look on your child – that feeling of awe that you did it, you created it. Magic.


Me: That's a great answer! Is there anything else you ever wanted to do apart from becoming a famous author?


Anastasia: Well, I had aspirations as a kid of being an architect or a singer. In high school my goal was to join the Army just after graduation. But I was always writing in some form. I think it was just what I was meant to do. And when the Army didn’t happen, that was when I truly realized what I was meant to do – write.


Me: You are a stay-at-home mum, with a gorgeous little boy. How hard is it to juggle being a mum and pursuing your dreams?


Anastasia: It’s actually not that hard for me, really. My son is very independent and doesn’t like me to hang over him all day anyway. During the day, I stick to simple things though, like just checking emails or reading blogs. But at night after he’s in bed, that’s when I really get to work. He’s in bed around 8 or 9 and I work until 2 or 3 in the morning – sometimes later. A night owl, I stay up late at night to work and have plenty of attention for my son during the day.


Me: Here's my favourite question. If you had one wish, what would it be? And please don't say world peace, this is not a Miss World contest. LOL


Anastasia: HAHA I would never be in a Miss World contest anyway. One wish? Wow. That’s a toughy. Hmmm... I wish all my friends have their one wish granted. I really don’t need anything.


Me: Awww. I hope your wish comes true then, I could do with one LOL. Where do you see yourself in five years from now?


Anastasia: Sitting right here at my computer, writing the next book in my series.


Me: I know you are working hard on the Inkwell University project at the moment. Please tell us a little bit about that.


Anastasia: Inkwell U is a writing site with courses, workshops, and an open discussion forum for novel writers. We have a story prompt maker and other fun tidbits for writers to help them when they are stuck for some inspiration. Some might remember it when it was on Writing.com. Then it was a small group known as “The Writer’s Academy,” but it’s been expanded and has its own home now on the web. The first set of courses and workshops begin July 1, but people can sign up now if they like.


Me: I was very impressed with the story prompt maker. I had a play with that myself. :) Not only do you have Inkwell University, but you also design websites for authors, yes?


Anastasia: Yes. Anastasia Creatives builds websites for authors, artists, and even businesses. But as a ‘starving artist’ and business owner myself, I don’t charge an arm and a leg for the design. Like you said, I love helping writers and helping them begin or add to their online presence with a website makes me feel great. I love designing. Self-taught, I love being challenged with a new design or feature for a website. The designs are custom for each person, the way they want. I make sure every single detail is perfect before I say the site is completed.


Me: I also know you are working on a book right now, ready for a submission campaign. Could you give us a quick synopsis?


Anastasia: Quick synopsis? Sure thing! *panics and throws something together* Here we go! :)

Captain Derac Vidor would die for his country, but before he can defeat a wizard out for revenge, he must first open his heart to a love far deeper than he’s willing to explore.

Haunted by the loss of his wife, Derac sacrifices everything for the safety of all who live in Kinir. When a mission is sabotaged by the wizard, Takurix, the Kinir Elite are forced to save their own lives. The evil who hunts them threatens to destroy everything the Elite stand for. If Derac fails to lead his team to victory, they all will die at the hands of the wizard.

He loses focus on the mission when his heart calls out to Kie, the graceful archer on the team. Logic and protocol prevent any show of affection. Distracted by his internal struggle, he lets his guard down and the team falls prey to Takurix’s powerful spells.

Derac and Takurix have more in common than they realize. Who better than Derac to convince the wizard revenge will not bring his wife back? If only Derac can face his own past in time to save the Kinir Elite.


Me: Okay, let's get personal with some quick fire questions. Favourite colour?


Anastasia: Black.


Me: Your all time favourite book and author?


Anastasia: The Devil’s Arithmetic by Jane Yolen


Me: Your favourite food?


Anastasia: Spicy Nacho Doritos


Me: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?


Anastasia: Tough one! I’d love to see Germany again I think, but not sure I’d never really live there. I’m happy as long as I can write.


Me: If you had the choice, who would be your choice of publisher and why?


Anastasia: I don’t really have a favorite or anything like that. There are some I don’t like at all, but we won’t talk about that. :)


Me: Haha!! Fair comment. If there was one person in the world you could meet, who would it be?


Anastasia: William Shakespeare, I think.


Me: Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog today. It's been awesome having you here. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we wish you the best of luck in all your worldly adventures. I know you will go far. :)


Anastasia: No, thank you Kurt. I had a great time. Thanks for the luck. I know you will go far too! I wish you the best and look forward to seeing your books on the shelves.


Please visit Anastasia online and give her your support:



The Kinir Elite Website: http://kinirelite.com (From my story Cleanse Fire)

Inkwell University: http://inkwellu.com

Anastasia Creatives: http://anastasiacreatives.com


15 comments:

  1. Great interview, Kurt! I enjoyed reading it. I always get excited when I see you have posted!!

    Best of luck, Anastasia! Sounds like you have a good handle on your craft. Best of luck moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind comments, Paul :) It's great to see you here, mate.

    Everyone go and say hi at Paul's blog, it's a great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul: Thanks! I'm glad I sound that way but I promise you it feels like I'm still just learning all of this stuff! LOL

    And Kurt, thanks for the interview! I had tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Anastasia! Feeling famous yet? ;) Kurt always asks great questions.

    I remember The Writer's Academy very well. I was one of your first students. :) I wish you good luck with your online project! All your sites look very professional and appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview Ana. Kurt has you pegged doesn't he? You're always there for me. :) Love you, babe. I know Cleanse Fire will be accepted and you'll set the world on fire with the Kinir Chronicles series. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Annie and Charlene :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anastasia! *waves furiously* I've been out of the loop but am glad I stopped by. Always nice to learn new tidbits about friends. You are definitely a wonderful person to know and I can't wait to read your book one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new look!!! and great interviewee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie: I do feel famous! Interviewed by the amazing Kurt Chambers was my dream! :) Yes, one of my first students! I hope to see you around the new place soon too!

    Charlene: Aww thanks so much babe! It's great to hear you think the series will do so well. I hope future readers feel the same as you do!

    Ralene: *waves back* Thanks! I try to be wonderful but I'm sure I fail more often than not LOL I'm enjoy being evil - at least to my characters - too much to be 100% wonderful! LOL

    Tamara: Thanks! I had lots of fun.

    Kurt: I LOVE the new look! It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The amazing Kurt Chambers! haha!! That never gets old :D

    Thanks you, Anastasia :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL!! Great interview! Your interviews ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Frankie :) Good to see you here, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks familiar! oh wait...I've been here before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha!! Are you having a pop at me again, Tamara? :) Sorry, I haven't been around for a while.

    ReplyDelete