Friday, 29 October 2010

Book Stuff--Kurt Chambers


I'm still buzzing from finishing my novel last week, but I still have my writing head on. I write in my tea breaks when at work, and it's become such a habit now I wouldn't know what to do with myself otherwise. So, I've started writing a new novel that has been rattling around in my empty head for a while. The book is called, The World in Johnny's Back Garden. I have a rough outline I wrote some time ago, but I'm still not 100% sure where this book is actually going, so it will be as much of a surprise to me as it will for you. :D

The idea for The World in Johnny's Back Garden came to me a long time ago. The original idea behind this novel was to write a story to give younger children an alternative view of all the living things around us through a series of mini adventure stories. I was going to write each chapter through the POV (point of view) of a different creature, like a mouse, a slug or a dandelion. That turned out to be quite a difficult task in the end, so the story has changed since then, but I'm still using the original theme. I mentioned this story in a submission to Ladybird publishers a couple of years ago and they told me their editorial panel was very impressed with my ideas and approach, so my plan of action is to complete this story and submit it to them sometime in the future.

I still have a mountain to climb. I want to get my new novel revised as quickly as I can and get it out for submission by the end of the year, or soon after. I could enter NaNo this month and enter The world in Johnny's back Garden, but I'm not good at writing under pressure. I will plod along at my own pace and see where this story ends up.

What do you other writers do normally when you complete a novel? Please share your end of novel stories with me. :)

11 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Chambers,

    Excellent post! We are looking forward to consider your new novel for publication once completed. Please send us a full manuscript as soon as possible.

    Best regards,

    Annie McMahon
    Editorial Manager
    Dutch Hill Publications

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm disguised as an editor for Halloween. How do you like it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha!! Ahh man! I got all excited, but then realised it was you :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll let you know when I've finished editing my first.

    I can assure you that when I do, however, they'll be much celebration ... and probably a long break!

    Good post, Kurt :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, please do, Wendy :) I didn't think the editing was ever done haha!! That's how it seems sometimes!

    Thanks, Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on finishing one and beginning another! I like your cover, and I look forward to your posts about your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Roxie :) How great to see you here on my blog. Everyone will think you're my daughter :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I finish a book, I always need a bit of time to get away from it, so tend to put it aside for 4 - 6 weeks (if I can bear it) and write other things. I tend to be a very prolific short story writer in between novels. Although now, with 4 books under my belt, there's always another round of revision to be done on something... But short stories are more fun than revising.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate :)

    Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about leaving their book for a while before tackling it again. Jay springs to mind :) I must admit, I've done the same thing. I've not even attempted revising it yet.

    Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts with us, Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. *gasp* You finished your novel and started a new one? Wait till I tell the rest of the fan club! *giggle* That is totally awesome, Kurt! *sigh* You are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha!! Awww, thank you Lilly :) You're my biggest fan!

    ReplyDelete