Wednesday, 4 August 2010

Just Stuff--Kurt Chambers


It's been quite a while since I posted a blog, so I felt obliged to come in here and explain myself...lol...In real life I have to work. I'm a carpenter in the building trade. It's hard and dangerous work. I work myself to a physical exhaustion every day. I'm not getting any younger I must admit, but I'm not quite dead in the water either. :D That just leaves the dangerous side of things. Only two days ago, I stabbed myself in the leg with a Stanley knife. Yes, it sounds funny I know, but it really wasn't. I had to lay a floor, so I was on my hands and knees for most of the day. Not an easy task when you have a stab wound in the side of your knee.

So, that's my excuse for almost vanishing from the writing world. I have been on the vacation board in my critic group for weeks now. It's the first time I've had time off in over four years. I'm missing out on so much fun. I tried my best to keep up with my weekly posts on The Crew website where I'm a guest author, but even that has suffered. All is not lost, though. I have been writing almost every day. I'm currently working on a new novel, Unknown Reality. It's a cracking story, totally original. A mix between fantasy and sci-fi. My target I had in mind was to get it finished, edited and submitted before the end of the year, and at the rate I'm going, this is a very reachable target.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Penguin and Egmont publishers, where I submitted the first book in my fantasy trilogy, Truth Teller. There's an estimated waiting period of about four months for a reply, assuming I actually get a reply, that is. I know Penguin only replies to the manuscripts they are interested in. I'm not sure about Egmont. I will know sometime mid September if I have been successful. I will give up all hope by October...lol...

Onward and upward! Now I'm going to bed. :)

20 comments:

  1. Doesn't Penguin reject unsolicited work? Or is that HarperCollins? Either way, it's cool you submitted. I haven't had the guts just yet. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great your working, Kurt. And the YA forum will be waiting for you when you're ready to come back! Watch the weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jay. Glad you finally have a job! And even MORE glad you've been writing new chapters!! Yay!

    Watch out for sharp knives, hot teas, grumpy co-workers, and any other harmful things around your work place. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicky, haven't you submitted ever? You should, you know. Practice makes perfect! You have a greater chance than me as yours in more marketable than mine. Go on, have a go! We'll all help you, you know that :)

    Thank you, Jay. You're well nice :)

    haha!! I will try my best, Annie! I can't promise anything though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about the stab wound. I think you should put your feet up and have your family wait on you while you write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pensees :) Thank you, I'm healing well...lol...Ha! My family is the main reason I don't write haha!! I have to be clear of their insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know being a carpenter was so dangerous. Take care of yourself and best wishes with the submission - you're right, practise does make perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura! Thank you so much for visiting my blog :) Yeah, my job sucks...lol...I have SO many stories about the accidents I've had. A few near death experiences, but I'm still here! I would SO much prefer to write children's novels for a living. I'm getting there, bit at a time.

    Thanks for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. kurt, any news? looks likeyou've about quit your blog too,lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya, Tamara :) Yeah, I've been a naughty boy :D my blog has been idle for a while. Real life has a lot to answer for.

    I think I've blown out this time round. It was one of those, you'll only hear from us if we're interested, deals. The three month deadline is over now :( Oh well. All is not lost. They will be fighting over my new novel, it's just what the market is looking for right now. Then I will pick and choose who I will let publish it.

    That's the plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, you're awesome! The one person who requested my full apparently quit working for that agency. havne't heard from anyone else. back to the drawing board for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, Tamara! I'm so sorry to hear that :(

    Well, if you got asked for a full once, it will happen again, you know it!

    One day I will be asked for a full. That would be so exciting! If I could get someone to actually READ Truth Teller, I know they would fall in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sucks about your leg. Get to feeling better.

    *crosses fingers and prays to BookGods* Come on! Please!!! This is a FANTASTIC book and GREAT series! It needs published!!!!!! GADS!

    *hugs*
    Frankie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, thank you, Frankie :) (((hugs back)))

    My leg is healed now, just have another scar to add to the collection...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, at least if you don't blog, you keep up with your comments! :)

    Yeah, Kurt. You've got to get that book read. When you submit, are you choosing agents that ask for the first 20 pages or so?

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL...I will start blogging again, I'm just taking a breather :)

    I found that in fiction, most of them ask for the first three chapters anyway. When I submit, I just find the most suitable ones to be honest. It's a bit of a limited market though for Truth Teller. I've put it on the back-burner for now, but it's not forgotten. It's my baby :) Unknown Reality stands a much better chance. I'm throwing everything I have in that right now. Once I get that published, I will bring Truth Teller back into the world seeing book one is ready to go, so to speak. Saying that, I might have a dabble now and then at submitting it again if I get the inclination. I just need to work on a new query.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My sister once carved a chunk out of her hand while whittling the tail on a wooden squirrel in art class. That, too, wasn't as funny as it sounds. Hope the wound gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Tara :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Ooooh that sounds painful! I stuck a chisel in my hand a couple of years ago, lost the feeling down one side of my thumb. I totally sympathise with her! Hand injuries hurt a LOT! So many nerve endings. Not that it stopped anyone from laughing whenever I mention it...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Come on, Kurt! Update your blog! I'm tired of reading your comment trail!

    ReplyDelete
  20. haha!! Sorry mate! :D It makes me look popular, cos I get loads of comments on each post...lol...

    I will try and get it together again, I promise. There you go, I've committed myself now :)

    ReplyDelete