Wednesday, 12 May 2010

Query Submissions--Kurt Chambers

I am very excited this week. I am sending out a new query to a delightful lady called Lauri Hornik from the Penguin Group. After doing my research I discovered that Dial are looking for well written character-driven middle grade stories. I nearly jumped with excitement when I read this, it describes my book, Truth Teller, perfectly. Then I came upon an article where Lauri explained she loved books with heart where the interactions between the characters are warm and true. I nearly died! Has she read my book, I thought? She's describing my book! I'm sure she is!...lol...

I made my way to the submission guidelines to discover if it was possible for me to send a query. YES! They accepted submissions from ordinary people like me! What a stroke of luck. Then I found out that they don't accept email submission. Darn! I'm actually rather poor at the moment and there was no way I could send my MS half way around the world just now. What a shame, I had found the perfect publisher in a sea of non perfect publishers and I couldn't submit my work. Then my dear friend, Annie stepped in to save me...Thank you SO much, Annie!...She lives on that side of the world and told me to send everything to her via email and she will post it on my behalf. What an angel :)

So, after one whole week of preparation, I'm certain I have everything just perfect. Today my query gets posted to New York. I feel a song coming on...lol...I just hope this is the big break I have been working towards for so many years.

15 comments:

  1. Good luck with your query. It's a great feeling when your manuscript seems to have a perfect fit with a particular publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Theresa :) I am very excited about this one, I have to admit. It will be a LONG four month wait...lol...I will spend the time editing my socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the query, you've worked hard on in and The Truth Teller seems like a fun book. I hope she likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Cheree! I hope it's the best book she's ever read. I'm aiming high...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very happy to do this for you, Kurt. Truth Teller deserves a good fighting chance. I'm glad I had the privilege to read this wonderful book before the rest of the world does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw Annie you are an Angel xoxox you're way to sweet to wield the whip. I have a good feeling for you Kurt. I better get cracking on review TT for you.

    Louisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw good luck Kurt! It's about time your big break came along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Louisa :) I will totally remind you of that if I get rejected...lol...

    Aww, Thank you, Vicky, you're so nice. And thanks for popping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, Kurt, good luck!!! You can ALWAYS ask your friends in the states for help with postage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So exciting! Will be crossing all my fingers and toes for you.

    Can't wait for the next post!

    GOOD LUCK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Tamara!! You're so kind :) It never occured to me until Annie offered. I always avoided hard copy submissions to the states.

    Hi Wendy. Thank you, mate! My next post will probably be...Why do submissions take so long?...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know it's WAY too soon to be asking--but any word??? from anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha!! Tamara, you crack me up :) In a word, no...lol...I've been waiting for a reply from Moodgypsy Press for a while, but kind of gave up on that one. I won't get a reply from Dial if they're not interested, but if they are, I have to wait until September :S Yeah, I know!...lol...It could be sooner. I will give up waiting by the time it hits October :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck! We've sent off many queries this last year but are hopeful for the last query sent to an agent from a writing conference we participated in. There are a lot of agents that were involved with writeoncon.com that are taking submissions you might want to check them out. Keep us posted and keep following your dreams no matter what the response is!

    ReplyDelete