Thursday, 27 May 2010

Bee Attack--Kurt Chambers


I haven't got any writing related blogs to post at the minute as I'm waiting for a reply from a submission. It's like being in limbo waiting months on end for a reply. Anyway, while I'm waiting I guess I could tell you a story.

A few years ago, more than I care to remember, I was having a kids party for my eldest daughter. We were going to have a bouncy castle in the garden amongst other things. I needed to clear out the garden about a week before. There was an old carpet near the back door. I dragged it to the back of the garden and dumped it behind the shed. It was early evening and I was wearing my Arron (fisherman's) jumper (sweater) this day. I noticed there were a LOT of bees around all of a sudden. Big, fat bumble bees! I stood watching them for a while wondering why there were so many in my garden before it dawned on me there must be a bees nest in the carpet. I quickly rushed indoors to warn my wife to close the windows and make sure the children didn't go in the garden to play. We stood looking out of the kitchen glass door watching these bees milling around in a swarm just outside the kitchen window. We could hear them buzzing even from here.

I clearly remember turning to my wife and saying, "Man! They are well loud. It almost sounds as if they are in here with us!" ...lol... Yes, typical me, famous last words and all that. I looked down and saw this MASSIVE bee clinging to my thick wooly jumper, trying its hardest to sting me to death ...lol... I screamed like a girl and legged out of the front door. Lesley, my wife, stood watching me running around the car park like a loony trying to knock this thing off. I vaguely remember her wetting herself laughing in the background and pointing at me, as you would I guess. After running in circles for a while waving my arms wildly, I stopped panicking and looked down. It was STILL THERE! I went mental again, hahaha!! It must have looked proper funny! :D

A bloke came round from the Environmental Health office and told us that bumble bees are becoming rare these days because nobody wanted them as they didn't make honey. He persuaded us to keep the carpet until they left the nest later on in the year, and promised they wouldn't be a problem. Some of the nest lining had fallen out and the bees were flying around it trying to find the nest, so we spent the next week catching bees in a glass and guiding them to the carpet behind the shed, haha!! We had the party and he was right, we never even noticed the bees were there :)



Shameless plug

Truth Teller by Kurt Chambers is free to all readers


How can ten-year-old Charlotte ever envisage that magic really exists? The place for other realms belongs in a child’s fairy tale. Or so she thinks, until she discovers the strange shopkeeper and begins an adventure that changes her life forever.
Discovered alone in a far away forest, Charlotte embarks on a journey encountering heart-stopping dangers and real life monsters, but a far greater threat shadows her every move. Even the strength and skill of her new companions cannot protect her against a ruthless druid assassin.
But in this realm, Charlotte is not the vulnerable little girl she thought she was.

Download a free copy in any format for any device:


Smashwords:

Amazon:

Barnes & Noble:
You can connect with the author at:

Author’s Web page http://kurtchambers.net/


20 comments:

  1. What is it about a bee that makes us go nuts? I'm glad you survived and the party continued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha!! It must be the fact that they are armed with a weapon...lol...Thanks, Theresa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is funny!bumblebees don't make honey? how interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...Loads of people have said that to me since I wrote this, Tamara :) Apparently not. My blog has become informative haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha!! The guy on the picture looks just like you, Kurt. :D Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha!! Thanks for that, Annie! Please come again...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha great story! so happy the bees worked out okay ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. and good luck waiting to hear back!! my fingers are crossed for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Tahereh :) I need as much luck as I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the ending to that story. I was reading it thinking, "bumblebees are harmless." (I studied entomology in the army long ago.)

    I'm the crazy mother who risks the stings to knock a wasp's nest off the porch eaves and protect my young.

    A whole swarm though, that would probably educate me pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha!! You've just reminded me, I found a wasps nest in my shed last week :S I'll have to sort that out sometime this week. I may have another blog story by the time I've finished...lol...

    Thanks for making a comment, Tammi, it's great to see you here :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been knocking wasps' nests down from the patio roof this spring. I haven't been stung by an insect in forever, so I'm getting a little blase about it. This, of course, will all change as soon as I get stung--then I'll be running around and screaming like a girl every time a wasp flies near. Yeah. Good times.

    Good luck with the submission, good sir!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahaha!! That is FUNNY! I have a mental picture in my head...lol...Mine is in the shed, I will have to clear a path so I have room to run before I even consider touching it! haha!!

    Thanks, Simon! It's great to see you here at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds a bit like me. I'm allergic to bees so I scream like a girl and run around with arms flailing when one lands on me...

    ReplyDelete
  15. You do realise, Dr. Heckle, that's probably the worst thing to do...lol...That just makes them angry :D I don't blame you though. Bee allergies are pretty nasty! Run for the hills! haha!!

    Thanks for leaving a comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. *LOL* Oh I would have loved to see that! Reminds me of when I was 14 and put my raincoat on before going to school. I felt a 'bounce' and flung off the coat then ran screaming round the house shrieking 'get it off! get it off', with my brother racing after me yelling at me to stay still. Turns out 5-6 jumping wetas had climbed inside it *shudder* totally harmless but ewwwwwww!

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha!! Forgive my English stupidness, but what is are jumping wetas?

    Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, Nicola :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. any news yet, Kurt??? You must be "buzzing" with anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. haha!! No, still waiting :S Four months seems like a lifetime! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for posting a lot of this awesome content! Looking forward to checking out more.

    cheese board & salad bowl

    ReplyDelete