Thursday, 8 April 2010

On A Mission--Kurt Chambers


I want to be published! No, I REALLY want it! I suspect I'm not alone on this mission, and that is a very appropriate word 'mission'. It almost seems like an impossible mission at times, and the way things stand with the recline in the publishing industry, it still could be for a few years yet. The bottom line is, none of the major publishers are prepared to invest huge amounts of cash on new authors. Okay, it's a fair comment. They are just a business like any other business, and they do still have to stay afloat with dwindling sales, so they are playing it safe. But that doesn't help me!

So, what should I do? I have this wonderful novel that needs to be shared with the world. Well, I could go down several roads on my mission. I could continue submitting to publishers/agents and hope that one of them will see the potential in my work. The downfall with this is each time I receive a rejection letter, that's one more publisher or agent I have to strike off my list.I could wait until the market picks up and start again, but that may take years. I could give up on traditional publishers and get my book e-published, or it's even possible for me to give it away, that is always an option. That will at least get my name in the frame.

Decisions, decisions!

I'm still undecided, but in the meantime there is still plenty I can do. Writing more novels is the obvious answer, and improving the novels I already have. They can always be better, right? There is also the marketing side of things. Networking and promoting myself as an author is something I can always do. You don't have to be a published author to promote yourself to a world of readers out there.

It's not easy being a writer. I could honestly say it's one of the hardest things I have ever done. What would life be though without a challenge?

9 comments:

  1. You are not alone by any stretch of the imagination. In fact you are in esteemed company. Many of the greatest authors of our time - Roald Dahl, Stephen king, Rudyard Kipling, H.G.Wells, and none other than J.K. Rowling, to name but a few, struggled to get published.

    It may seem slightly narcissistic to relish in the rejection of others, however, it gives me great hope that if I persevere, I too may join that elite club of writers who went through the very same process.

    Enough about me... Good post!

    You'll get there. You write well. Very well.

    I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your realistic, yet hopeful view on things. Keep going, you're on the right track!

    I'm with Wendy on the sidelines, cheering for you. *waves pompoms*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, thank you so much for your encouraging words, Wendy :) I'm sure we shall both meet someday in the halls of literary greatness!

    And thank you too, Annie. You look much sweeter as a cheerleader than with all that leather gear you wear in the forum haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Meeting someday in the halls of literary greatness'. Now that's something to aspire too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

    Okay, I'm confused about this post. I thought you were already published. Aren't those books along the side yours? Tricky, tricky! I'll keep watching you! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melissa!

    It's a pleasure to see you in here :) Yes, those are my books you see. One of my dearest friends, Dawne Dominique, is the most awesome cover artist. She made them for me. I have the books and the covers, I just need a contract :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I practically could've written this post. Being an aspiring published author is often fraught with frustration and self-doubt. All we can do is keep writing, learning, and writing some more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Theresa, thanks for visiting my blog. You're so right. It's a real uphill struggle. Frustration and self-doubt, I know them well :)

    Just keep plodding on. That's the advice I keep hearing. I hope it's right!...lol...

    ReplyDelete