Sunday, 14 February 2010

My First Valentine--Kurt Chambers


As I will be posting this on Valentine's Day, I thought It would be good to tell you a real life love story. Everyone likes a love story, right? Especially if it's a true story.

It all started way back in the days when everything was in black and white...lol...Yes, I'm old enough to remember that. Life was simple then. I was about eight years old and went to Lodge Farm Junior School. I would sometimes walk home with a girl who was in the year below me. I liked her a lot, she was sweet and funny, and we just got along really well. We used to take a shortcut through Mobbsbury Woods. When we came out of the woods and onto a big green, we would stand and chat for a bit before we headed off in a different direction. It's funny that I can still remember it. I have very little memory of those days, just the odd glimps of some things, but that was just one of the things that I do remember for some reason.

We both left Junior School at the age of eleven and went to separate secondary schools. I'm sure we must have seen each other on the odd occasion, but I don't really remember. I left school at the age of sixteen. It was the summer of 83. I lived close to a big park called Fairlands Valley. It had several boating lakes and various other attractions. My friend, Pat, was working during the summer holidays hiring out boats at the park. I went down one afternoon to see him. This day, a girl came to see him, and I recognised her from somewhere.

I said, "I know you, don't I?"

She laughed and said, "Yeah."

"Cool. Get in there and make us a cup of tea then, will ya?"...lol...As you can see, I'm such a romantic. Haha!!

We started talking and had a great afternoon. We just hit it off straight away. It didn't dawn on me at the time that this was the same girl I used to walk home from school with all those years ago.

I went home at the end of a great day wondering if I would meet her again. A couple of days later, I was with my friends when we met again. She was with her friend. I invited everyone back to my house. We spent the whole afternoon taking the micky out of everyone. It was so funny. I remember me and her almost wetting ourselves laughing at the expense of everyone else. She had such an awesome sense of humour. It was just like mine!...lol...

We started seeing each other more often and became great friends. I started looking forward to seeing her and was gutted on the days that I didn't. It was a great summer, one of the best of my whole life and definitely the most memorable. After a few weeks, we were seeing each other every day. My friends didn't like it much and started giving me grief, but she was way much more fun than them. I wanted to be with her all the time.

We eventually started dating. I knew she was the girl for me even though I was just sixteen. The summer came to an end, and she went back to school. We still saw each other every day. Soon Christmas came. I remember this Christmas well. At a party at my house I was incredibly drunk when I asked her if she wanted to get engaged to me. She said yes without hesitation. Man! I was on cloud nine! I proudly announced it to everyone. Nobody took me seriously. They though I was just a stupid kid, which in reality, I was...lol...

Well, here I am now, twenty seven years later telling you this story. Man! It seems such a long time ago. What a summer that was. What ever happened to my dream girl? She became my wife and we grew up together. She is still my best friend and the one person I trust more than anyone in the whole world. She is still just as funny as she was on the afternoons we spent together as kids. She makes me laugh every single day. We have spent a lifetime together and share the most amazing adventures. She is my soul mate. I would be nothing without her.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!


Truth Teller is now available in all e-book formats from here:

Amazon UK: Click here to sample or buy

Amazon US: Click here to sample or buy

Smashwords: Click here to sample or buy

Goodreads: Click here to sample or buy

Shelfari: Click here to sample or buy

Barnes & Noble: Click here to sample or buy

You can connect with the author at:

Author’s Web page http://kurtchambers.net/

Author’s Blog http://geniusborderinginsanity.blogspot.com/

Twitter https://twitter.com/emailmanROCKS

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kurt-Chambers/296957780317055


Truth Teller Reviews:

Dawne Dominique - Multi-published author and professional cover artist.

The Truth Teller is one of the best children's fantasy book I've read in a long while. Charlotte is so easy to picture in my mind, and the fantasy aspects are brilliant! There are underlying currents of "real life lessons" that are subtly included...ideal for parents looking for that perfect bedtime story to read to their children. I loved the entire premise of the novel and will definitely be purchasing the next ones in this series.

Kurt Chambers has captured the genre with a wonderful story that will delight many a child's (and adult's) imagination.

Annie McMahon - Editor, published author and Novel Workshop moderator.

This book has everything a bestseller should have: compelling story, endearing characters, vivid descriptions, genuine emotions, and a lot of surprising twists and turns. This is a story about a friendship that transcends race, gender, age, and even realms, between Charlotte, a ten-year-old girl, and Elderfield, a teenage elf. Beautiful and heartwarming. I strongly recommend it and have reviewed Kurt’s story on my blog, Dutch Hill News.

Ralene Burke – Writer, Editor for Wives in Bloom:

Honestly, I can’t wait until my kids are old enough to read these books. Kurt has written an amazing series that emphasizes such wonderful themes as friendship, family, hope, and faith. I’ve read Truth Teller and Wrath of Siren and, even though they are MG, enjoyed them immensely. If you’re looking for wholesome reads for your children, check out the next big thing for MG.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Kurt. That Valentine heart is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. You are one lucky man to have your wife put up with you for so long. :P J/K! You know I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha!! Yeah, it made me laugh. I HAD to use it :D I used a more subtle picture on Frankie's blog...lol...

    Thanks for stopping by, Ralene. Love ya right back (((heart)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet story! As for the heart, um... no comment. LOL

    Oh, and there's an award waiting for you over at my blog: http://dutchhillnews.blogspot.com/2010/02/honest-scrap-award.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww, so cute!! And that card ... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. *gasp* OMG! Are you the famous Kurt Chambers from England? Eeeeeeeeek!! OMG I can't believe I'm talking to you. *faint* Okay, I'm okay. *gasp* What an honor! I'm a big fan of your books. I'm starting a Truth Teller fan club in my town and I was wondering if you could send me an autographed picture. That would be sooo cool. Wait till I tell all my friends I found your blog. They'll all come and leave you a comment. Eeeeek! I'm so excited!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lily! Jeez. A fan club on Truth Teller? Ok! I'm soo with you there! lol. For the autograph picture...sweetie, you're gonna have to wait in line for there =D I know what you're feeling though. His books just makes you faint with excitement! *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like, no freakin' way! Lilly was SO right. I hate it when that happens. Anyway, the REAL Kurt Chambers? Eek! Oh my gosh, I just have to tell you that one of my favorite characters ever is Charlotte. She's just SO cool. I can't wait til Lilly starts the Fan Club. Eek! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Rachel :) I couldn't resist the card haha!!

    And thank you Lilly and girls...lol...My first official fan club! Awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kurt, I've left something for you at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kurt,

    I'm nominating you for a blog award (and was first nominated by Cheree, whoohoo!). Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Rachel and Cheree! I feel all special now :)

    ReplyDelete