Sunday, 24 January 2010

Getting Published--Kurt Chambers

I was in the process of submitted Truth Teller to a possible Publisher. I'd like to share my experience with you of the first time I did this. I'd just spent two years of my life with a pen and a notepad permanently at my side. I had a story to tell, and I took every opportunity to scribble down a few more paragraphs as the story played out in my head. It was very, very exciting. I was going to be the next best thing, I knew this for certain. This story was just SO great. It didn't matter that I knew absolutely nothing about writing, and even less about the publishing industry.

I was sitting at the side of the road having a tea break in my builders van when I finished the last chapter. I laughed out loud ...Ha!... What a fantastic ending, I congratulated myself. My mate, Mick, rolled his eyes. "You've finished then?" he remarked in a casual tone. "What happens at the end?" Like I was going to tell him. I suggested he purchased the book when it went on sale. He rolled his eyes again ...lol...

Once I finished spell checking and making everything just right, I set about finding out how to get published. Yes, admittedly, this wasn't the best way to go around things, but what did I know. I read so many articles on the internet that I thought my head would explode. I was sure I knew what to do and went for broke. I found an agency in New York that looked like the next best thing since sliced bread. Yes, I thought. Let's do this thing. I sent a sample of my work and sat back to wait. Man! I can't ever remember checking my email so many times ...lol... I was like a man possessed. People were starting to avoid me in the street so they didn't have to suffer any more book talk.

Then it came...the reply. I remember staring at the computer screen with my mouth gapping open. I just wanted to cry. In truth, I think I did cry a little. How could this be? Why? I must be mistaken, I'll have to read it again. It read the same.



Dear Mr.Kurt Chambers.

We would like to thank you for submitting your material to our agency. After careful consideration I am pleased to tell you we would like to offer you representation with our agency. Please find a copy of our contract attached to this email.




It's all a bit of a blur now. I vaguely remember some screaming involved and can just about recall waving a copy of this email I had just printed out in my wife's face ...lol... I had made it! The first novel I had ever written was sent for the first time to an agent, and I had been offered a contract. What was the chances of that happening? After two of the most wonderful days of my life, a light-bulb went off in my head. What WERE the chances of that happening? I'd better check this out. I'd read there were some dodgy agents out there. After some more research, I discovered the Preditors & Editors web site.

I remember staring at the computer screen with my mouth gapping open. I just wanted to cry. In truth, I think I did cry a little. How could this be? Why? I must be mistaken, I'll have to read it again. It read the same.


STRONGLY NOT RECOMMENDED!


There is a moral to this true story. Always, always...ALWAYS...do your homework!




Shameless plug

Truth Teller by Kurt Chambers is free to all readers


How can ten-year-old Charlotte ever envisage that magic really exists? The place for other realms belongs in a child’s fairy tale. Or so she thinks, until she discovers the strange shopkeeper and begins an adventure that changes her life forever.
Discovered alone in a far away forest, Charlotte embarks on a journey encountering heart-stopping dangers and real life monsters, but a far greater threat shadows her every move. Even the strength and skill of her new companions cannot protect her against a ruthless druid assassin.
But in this realm, Charlotte is not the vulnerable little girl she thought she was.

Download a free copy in any format for any device:


Smashwords:

Amazon:

Barnes & Noble:



You can connect with the author at:

Author’s Web page http://kurtchambers.net/


4 comments:

  1. so sad, Kurt...please let usknow whne you get your breakthrough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes a great story though!

    Don't worry, mate, I will be telling EVERYONE...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I think I might be crying a little, too. That is such a sad, sad story. But still, if you look at the positive, you did not get a rejection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie!!! Great to see you here, thanks for visiting :)

    That story is meant to be funny!...lol...

    ReplyDelete