Sunday, 6 September 2009

Novel Reborn

The people that know me will know I have never been a big fan of writing a novel just to suit the market. That's crazy, in a way, writing should come from the heart. But I'm not the angel I make myself out to be, because I have considered doing this myself. In fact, the next two novels I am writing were born from this idea. I like to think though, that it's just the 'ideas' behind these novels that were aimed at the market and nothing else. The stories themselves do definitely come from the heart.

One of these stories is about to make a comeback. I came up with the idea a long time ago, and I even wrote the first chapter. It is a children's story that will hopefully give kids an alternative view of all living things. The original title was, Alternate Lives, but for a kids book it was lame. It's now called, The World in Johnny's Back Garden. It was going to be a series of mini adventure stories shown through the eyes of different living things, a tree, slug, mouse, dandelion...etc. I recently discussed my ideas with some friends and have since written an outline. The book have evolved into something very different. Better I hope.

Last year I mentioned this novel in my bio when sending a query to Ladybird Publishers. I received a very positive response. They remarked that their editorial panel was very impressed with my ideas and my approach. This was very encouraging. Now I have decided to bring this novel back to life in the very near future. It should be a fun book to write.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see a new project in your future and a fantastic one at that. The POV is quite interesting...GENIUS! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, mate :) I have a good feeling about this one. I can't wait to get started again. I might even step away from my current YA novel and work on this one instead. I'm not sure what to do yet.

    Thanks for the encouraging comments J.M. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this The World in Johnny's Back Garden? It sounded way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jay :) Yeah, that's right. I'm quite excited about it now I've got an outline to work from.

    ReplyDelete